|“||Blood is family. Blood is pain. And blood is death.||”|
Vampire Academy is the film adaptation of the book Vampire Academy. It is the first feature installment of the planned “Vampire Academy” fantasy series adaptations. The worldwide release was originally on February 14, 2014, but it got moved up a week to February 7.
St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school – it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi vampire princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's – the very place where they're most in danger.
- Zoey Deutch as Rose Hathaway
- Danila Kozlovsky as Dimitri Belikov
- Lucy Fry as Lissa Dragomir
- Olga Kurylenko as Headmistress Kirova
- Cameron Monaghan as Mason Ashford
- Sami Gayle as Mia Rinaldi
- Ashley Charles as Jesse Zeklos
- Claire Foy as Sonya Karp
- Dominic Sherwood as Christian Ozera
- Sarah Hyland as Natalie Dashkov
- Joely Richardson as Queen Tatiana Ivashkov
- Gabriel Bryne as Victor Dashkov
- Edward Holcroft as Aaron Drozdov
- Bronte Terrell as Camilla
- Chris Mason as Ray
- Ben Peel as Spiridon
- Dominique Tipper as Alberta Petrov
- Shelley Longworth as Feeder Norrine
- Mark Lewis as Priest
- Elizabeth Conboy as Rhea Dragomir
- Ryan Prescott as Novice
- Harry Bradshaw as Bruno, Mia's friend
- Laurie Davidson as Party Host
- Will Tudor as Novice
- Nathan Shaw as Dhampir
In June 2010, Preger Entertainment optioned the film rights to the Vampire Academy series. On July 6, 2010, they announced that producer Don Murphy had joined them to help bring the series to the big screen. On December 17, 2012, it was announced that Daniel Waters was writing the script and subsequently, it was announced, that his brother, Mark Waters (Mean Girls, Spiderwick Chronicles) would direct.
The script for Vampire Academyh, based on the first book in Richelle Mead’s series of books, was written by the director’s brother, Dan Waters (Heathers, Batman Returns). Producers plan to start lensing in the early summer.
Producers are Don Murphy and Susan Montford of Angry Films, Michael Preger, and Deepak Nayar of Kintop Pictures with IM Global CEO Stuart Ford exec producing. IM Global will be handling foreign sales in Berlin.
On February 1, 2013, it was announced that Zoey Deutch (Beautiful Creatures) and Australian newcomer actress Lucy Fry were cast as the lead characters Rose and Lissa while Russian actor Danila Kozlovski for the role of Dimitri. To prepare for their roles as dhampir novices and guardians, Zoey Deutch, Cameron Monaghan and Danila Kozlovsky underwent rigorous training sessions and workouts.
The project was officially greenlit on April 1, 2013. The producers announced on their official Facebook page that principal photography will take place in the UK with additional photography planned in and around Montana in USA and that director, Mark Waters had started pre-production work in London.
The filming for Vampire Academy began on the 28 May 2013 at Pinewood Studies, London. The film was shot throughout June half of the filming during the daytime and then also at nighttime. The filming officially ended on the 20 July 2013. The film officially entered post-production on the 21st of July.
SoundtrackEditThe soundtrack for Vampire Academy was put in production by Rolfe Kent. The track list is below;
- In Your Grave - Jaymes Bullet
- Red Lips - Sky Ferreira
- Nice and Slow - Max Frost
- Thea - Goldfrapp
- Boys Don't Cry - Natalia Kills
- Bounce - Iggy Azalea
- Sinful Behaviour - Bear in Heaven
- Think About It - Naughty Boy
- Rats - Rainy Milo
- Spiritual - Katy Perry
- Crazy - Au Revoir Simon
- Bela Lugosi's Dead - CHVRCHES (cover song)
Behind the Scenes Edit
- This is the only film that won't include Eddie Castile, but he will be brought into the sequel Frostbite.
- According to screenwritter and director, Lissa in the scenes where she cuts herself will be magical instead of manual.
- Rose's training increases a little as she learns how to use a silver stake earlier.
- Rose breaks her ankle before the shopping scene instead of after it.
- Strigoi will be seen more to emphasise the danger.
- Uniforms will be wore in the film to show the difference between a dhampir and a Moroi. A Moroi has a long skirt (female) or long pants (male) and a coloured scarf and their school elembem will display a red circle around their element. A dhampir has a shorter skirt (female) and long pants (male) and a red tie.
- The lip gloss scene has been taken out as it takes away the male dominance of Dimitri.
- It begins with the car crash.
- When Rose goes into Lissa's head, her eyes turn golden.
- According to the 2014 Year Book in St. Vladimir's in the film, it is seen that Rose, Lissa, Christian were all born in 1996 and Dimitri was born in 1989.