Moroi are benevolent vampires. Opposed to the Strigoi, they are alive, mortal and born.
Moroi are said to be very beautiful. Moroi's skin is described as being very pale and their bodies are slim and tall. Moroi are much taller and slimmer than humans. Standing next to their Dhampir guardians they look very pale, very tall, but also less muscular. Which they are.
Due to their slim bodies, female Moroi in general have smaller breasts and slimmer hips than their Dhampir cousins, who are usually more curvaceous. These traits attract the attention of Moroi males. Moroi females and males are described as possessing a supernatural beauty. They have a pair of fangs that extended and retractable from canine teeth that use for feeding, which come out when about to bite, and angry.
Most Moroi do not feel comfortable being in the sunlight, though they still can be outside during the day time. Often Moroi can use magic, the length of their magical capabilities is shown in Spirit Bound. Moroi use the elements earth, water, Fire, and air, combining them to make the Alchemist tattoo's (golden flower). It is common for a Moroi to specialize in one of the elements: air, fire, earth, water or spirit, the element spirit being forgotten for a long time. Moroi who specialized in the spirit element were thought to have not specialize at all. Moroi also have a special ability called compulsion which forces their will onto their victim through eye contact. Strigoi and spirit users have much stronger complusion than the regular moroi. Moroi are not allowed to use their abilities as offensive, only defensive. This is why they want Dhampirs as guardians to protect them. Though it is known that in the past, moroi used to fight alongside with their Dhampirs guardian (using their ability both offensive and defensive). The users of water, fire, earth and air are drawing their powers from each element. Only spirit users are drawing their powers from their mind and body.
- Regenerative Healing Factor - Moroi heal easier and quicker than humans, allowing them to recover from injuries in hours, so long as they feed.
- Enhanced Senses - Moroi have stronger senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch than humans. Moroi are shown to be able to distinguish Moroi/Dhampir/Human blood by taste.
- Enhanced Speed - Moroi are faster than humans, but aren't as fast as Strigoi and dhampirs.
- Enhanced Intelligence - Moroi can learn and process information easier than humans.
- Enhanced Memory - Moroi can remember details and events easier than humans.
- Social Magnetism - Moroi are known to be highly charismatic, and have an especially alluring quality. .
- Empathy - Moroi are very empathic creatures. They have high level of compassion for animals and have intuitive knowledge of their feelings.
- Limited Darkness Adaptation - Moroi prefer to be active at night, helped by their strong vision.
- Limited Daytime walking - Moroi are able to walk in sunlight, but the sun weakens them and makes them uncomfortable.
- Supernatural Beauty - Moroi are known to be highly attractive. They are immensely beautiful, slim and tall and their skin is pale.
- Self-control - Moroi do not have to kill in order to feed, unlike Strigoi who always kill their bite victims, and instead feed in small non-lethal increments.
- Elements - Moroi have magical abilities that allow them to control the elements of earth, air, fire, water, and spirit. Moroi often specialize in one element in particular.
- Strong Persuasion - Moroi are able to use their naturally beautiful and alluring natures to persuade and sometimes seduce those around them.
- Compulsion - Moroi are able to control the minds of humans, dhampirs, and Moroi to certain degree; spirit users are the strongest in this ability.
- Sunlight - Moroi are sensitive to sunlight, and while exposure to sunlight is not lethal to Moroi, it is very uncomfortable.
- Mortality - Moroi live and die like normal humans, though conventional diseases and illnesses do not effect them.
- Moroi's abilities - Moroi's abilities are weaker than those of the Strigoi, and And compared to Dhampirs Moroi are generally physically weaker and less nimble.
- Sandovsky's Syndrome - The only known disease that can affect and kill a Moroi, consuming all vital organs, slowly and painfully.
The diet of the Moroi consists of human blood. At the academy staff provide access to human donors who supply blood for Moroi students. M (the Moroi student) to have (or get) daily meals. The bite of the Moroi is said to release large amounts of endorphins, producing a physical and emotional high similar to the effects of orgasm. Moroi can go without feeding for about two days without any side effects After two days, the Moroi begin to show signs of decline, including dark circles under eyes, diminished strength and their skin become even more paler.
The Moroi have a King or Queen who is chosen and elected from one of the twelve royal families. The oldest in the family gets the title of "prince" or "princess". Royal Moroi are supposed to have at least two guardians. Since there are more Moroi than dhampirs, many Moroi have to make do without a guardian, but this does not apply to royals, who come first.